This first solo episode is all about how I plan and prep for a new school year to make sure that we get off to the best start and that I will be able to stay consistent throughout the year. While some of it (like lesson planning) is obviously directed to homeschoolers, I think that a lot of it can apply to anyone who is transitioning to the more scheduled season of school time. Below you will find my notes and any links that I have mentioned in the episode. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!
My 5 Planning and Prepping Things
1. Lesson Plans
- Plan in Terms
- Plan for breaks and catch up time
- Print and organize all worksheets and paperwork for the year
- Get and organize all your materials for the year
- Plan a whole term of meals (we LOVE PlantoEat.com!)
- Plan ALL the meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks)
- Prep large batches of things on the weekend (especially for breakfasts, lunches and snacks)
This is our Favorite Pancake Recipe- Edna Mae’s Pancakes from The Pioneer Woman
This is thee AWESOME Hot Ham & Swiss Croissant Sandwich recipe we use and freeze
Here is the recipe for No Bake Energy Bites (we add chocolate chips)
- Know what you need to do daily, weekly and monthly to keep your home clean and functioning well
- Have a spot for everything
- Be disciplined- you are the example and the driving force behind what happens in your home
4. Have a Routine
- Plan out where you want to be
- Don’t freak out if it doesn’t go completely as planned (it won’t!)
- Use it as a guideline and a place to come back to
- It helps you be realistic with your use of time and build in margin
5. Plan for YOU!
- Plan in terms and be realistic with what you can accomplish
- What books do you want to read? What projects do you want to do? Decide what you want to accomplish and make a plan to actually get it done.
- Figure out what you need to do daily to feel like yourself and care for your mind and soul. This is key for avoiding burnout.
Mystie Winckler has two amazing courses about getting organized and planning your life. You can find them here.
Jenny Penton from Planner Perfect is full of inspiration and thoughts on having forethought for our days. She calls it “scripting your life” and “writing a better story.” Find her YouTube channel here.
Find the Podcast in all these places as well:
So there it is! The overview of how I kick off a new year on the right foot! I hope you found it helpful and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Go be bold and gracious!